Friday, May 15, 2015

Monopoly

My family played games together all the time.  We played outside games such as "500", any type of tag, kick ball, baseball, etc.  We also played tons of games inside as well.  We played any number of board games, card games and such.  I loved all the games we played except one:  Monopoly.  You may think that I did not like it because I lost often but that was not the case.  As a matter of fact I tend to win at games for reasons I can't really explain. 
I hated Monopoly because it turned my family into crazy people.  My father, my mother and my sisters would become vicious human beings all trying to out wit the others and not in a congenial way.  This game was not about fun it was about blood thirsty crazy people.  When someone would petition to play Monopoly I would vote NO!  We played anyway.  It seemed we never finished the game in one sitting, it always took two days or so.  The fussing was not worth the game.
When I married Rob I discovered he liked to play Monopoly so we bought the game so we could play.  I thought perhaps playing this detested game with my new husband would be a positive way to learn to love it.  Um, I was wrong.  It seems, if it is possible, he was more competitive and vicious than my own family.  Oh my gosh, I could not believe it.  I had a cow and refused to play the game, period!  I figured since I had my own home I could set my own rules and those rules would include NO MONOPOLY!  It worked for a while but I did not throw the game away.  After having children and those children growing up we began to play the game again.  Oh my, the legacy continued.  Tears, fussing, quitting, hurricanes and natural disasters became the name of the game.  To this day I would rather have a root canal than play one game of Monopoly.  Sorry Milton Bradley! 

No comments:

Post a Comment