Thursday, May 14, 2015

Computer in the 1960's

My father had been working for Smith Carona Marchant, SCM, for a good while and was excellent at repairing type writers and calculators.  My father worked on machines in the area where we lived. The main office of SCM was in Richmond, Virginia at the time.  SCM had developed a computer in the 1960's while my father worked for them at their Richmond site which was housed in a space of about 2000 square feet.
It is funny to think about cell phones having more power than that old quatrain system back then that took up all that space.  I remember my father bringing home the punch cards that the system produced for us to play with.  It seemed odd to me that the computer could understand what all those cards with holes punched into them meant.  Dad had worked on that computer and was offered a job to help to develop and work further with the computer system in Richmond but my mother did not want to move to Richmond and did not want my father working for that particular division so my father did not accept the job.  Funny to think about that now.  My father had the opportunity to be on the ground floor of the computer age.  He had helped a little but did not have the opportunity to continue to develop with the system.  Fun fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment