Thursday, May 14, 2015

Blood and gore

I attended Arrowwood Academy for a few years.  It was a private school in Norfolk, Virginia.  The school had a pool, something very uncommon in those days.  This was a private school so when you paid your yearly tuition you had access to the pool and playground year round.  The school would have school sponsored pool parties.  I was not a great swimmer but I could swim enough.  I wanted to learn to dive so with the help of my friend I decided that was the day I would learn to dive.  I got brave enough to get up on the diving board, which took some doing in and of itself.  I slowly made my way to the end of the diving board, as I approached the end of the board I slipped and slid right off the end and into the VERY chlorinated water.
When I slipped into the water I scraped off several layers of skin from my shin.  I scrapped it deeply the full length of my shin.  When the scrapped shin hit the water the chlorine was like acid on the wound.  I literally screamed under the water.  When I made it back to the surface I noticed I had a trail of blood following me in the water (good thing pools do not have sharks, lol).  I was so embarrassed for my ungraceful entrance into the water and for the trail of blood that followed me that I got out of the water as fast as I could, dried off and headed to the nurses' office where they called my mother to come and get me.  I do not remember ever returning to that pool again.
That was not the only injury I received while attending that particular school.  Once while out at recess I was playing on the metal merry-go-round.  When my turn to get on came again I reached out to grab the bar while it was still going around at a pretty good clip.  This was not a good idea.  The force of motion when I grabbed that bar flipped me onto the floor of the merry-go-round, thrusting my front tooth through my lip and chipping the tooth a little as my mouth hit the metal bottom of the merry-go-round, of course I screamed followed by a good deal of crying.  That was my last time to play on that merry-go-round.  As you can see, I never liked to take the chance of a repeat performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment