Thursday, May 21, 2015

Grandma Hazel

My maternal grandmother lived with us when I was a young child.  She had breast cancer and had had a double mastectomy.  The surgery was done differently in those days, things were not so neatly done and a woman was never quite the same afterwards.  She had radiation treatments after the mastectomy.  Her wounds from the surgery never healed so my mother, who had once been a surgical nurse, took care of her.  Although grandma was never able to fully recuperate from the surgery, she loved her grandchildren none the less.  She spent a great deal of time playing with us and spoiling us.
Grandma, as I recall  made THE BEST apple turnovers.  I can remember her smiling and chattering to me as I stood at the edge of the table in a chair watching her make these delicious treats.  My mouth watered the entire time as I asked her millions of questions.  These are pleasant memories.  As I recall that my grandmother never lost patience with me and all my jabber, nor with my sisters.
My grandmother did not live very long after her surgery; it was not a time of cures for those with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment