Thursday, May 28, 2015

Fifth grade graduation

At the end of my fifth grade year, attending Arrowwood Academy in Norfolk, Virginia, the school made plans for "graduation".  It was a special thing for me at the time, I felt so mature and I remember being so proud.  My mom took me shopping for a new white dress, shoes and hose.  I couldn't believe I was going to get to wear hose.  You have to understand that my father was very funny about things like that.  I can recall thinking how pretty I was wearing my new dress, fishnet stockings and white patent leather shoes.  My hair was still blonde at the time so I am sure I looked very springy.  We, the fifth grade, gathered on the risers facing our parents on the front lawn of the school.  We sang the song "Up, up in the air, in my beautiful balloon".  I thought it quite beautiful at the time and was very proud,  I now realize as an adult it was probably more "cute" than beautiful. 
My fellow students and I received our "diploma" and any recognition for outstanding achievements.  I received an award for my safety patrol service in addition to my diploma.  It was a happy time, my parents attended and smiled with pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment