Thursday, February 5, 2015

Snow and Asthma


Winter always makes me think of snow, I just cannot help it.  I absolutely LOVE snow!  I think it is so beautiful and peaceful; to me there is something almost religious about it.  Growing up we had snow every winter therefore my father made “snow cream” often.  He would send us out into the snow to get “clean, new” snow for him to use to make a snow ice cream with.  It was a thin ice cream and VERY sweet.  We all loved it and looked forward to it every winter.  Mmmmm, nothing ever tasted quite like it. 

Another thing that the snow reminds me of is my father running around outside in the snow with only his shorts, a tea shirt and deck shoes on.  My father had asthma and therefore never seemed to feel the cold.  He was bad about going outside in the winter half dressed as my mother called it.  After my mother threw a fit he would go in and dress as lightly as he could get away with, but that was only after he had gotten caught.  He was trying to set an appropriate example for us children.    
My sons both have asthma so as they grew up and wanted to go outside in the winter half-dressed I knew that it would be ok, that it was only because their asthma did not allow them to feel the cold like the rest of us did.  It never made them sick, it only made people think I was a crazy mother, lol.         

No comments:

Post a Comment