Monday, February 2, 2015

Luray Caverns

 
Robin and I spent a long Vacation this past summer doing as many things as our hearts desired.  We traveled to Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, Georgia, Tennessee.   One of the things I wanted to do was to visit Luray Caverns in Luray Virginia as we traveled along skyline drive.  I had visited there when I was a child and had loved it though I was and am Closter phobic.  I wasn't sure I would be able to go down into the caverns again but had little trouble and really enjoyed it.  I think part of the reason I am able to go in is because it is open directly to the surface.  You have to descend or ascend stairs to get in or out of the caverns so I can get out without aid.  I am not blocked by any obstruction.  I was glad Robin was with me that did give me a certain amount of security as well and he really enjoyed it as well, he had never seen the caverns before.  It is an amazing place. 
It is well lit and takes an hour or so to go through, I think the girl said it goes down under ground like 6 or 10 stories I can't remember which.  When they were telling the story of the guy who discovered it and his bringing in a lantern all I could think of was exploring those caverns with a lantern.  I would have been frightened to death.   
If you ever make it up that way I highly recommend touring the caverns.

No comments:

Post a Comment