Friday, February 6, 2015

Random memory

When we camped we always took things with us to keep us out in nature, bikes, motor bikes (tennis shoes) etc.  This particular time we were in Shenandoah National Park and we had taken motor bikes.  I think, don't quote me, that Russell was driving the Honda 90 and I was riding.  We were out on the back roads where you could enjoy nature.  Those roads were sand and we were zipping along really enjoying the beauty of the Shenandoah Valley.  Russell needed a break so he trudged off into the woods and left me holding up the little Honda 90.  He didn't put the kickstand down because of the sand road would not have held it up so he just asked me to hold it and he would be right back. 
There I stood holding up this little Honda 90 not even close to weighing 90 pounds myself.  All of a sudden I noticed the back wheel was slowly moving away from me so I kind of moved closer in to give me more leverage, or so I thought.  The motorcycle continued to slide down slowly.  For reasons I don't really understand I got closer in and tried to brace the motorcycle up, it made no difference.  In fact, the motorcycle went down in what appeared to be slow motion right onto my calf.  The muffler, manifold, whatever, was HOT!  It laid directly on the outside of my calf, pinned me and started to burn.  I yelled and yelled for Russell to come back.  I could smell the flesh burning, it was a sick smell and I nearly threw up.  It was burning so badly.  When Russell got back he had to quickly get me back to camp so I could go to the clinic and get the burn treated.  It was a deep burn and I was on crutches for the rest of that camping trip.  Lesson?  When you weigh a lot less than the motorcycle you are riding, you cannot hold it up in sand (dummy).  Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment