Wednesday, April 1, 2015

You want Pizza with that?

When Rob and I first married I tried to cook all his southern dishes.  I grew up eating healthy.  My mother cooked healthy and when she did choose to fry anything I honestly did not eat it.  I was never one to enjoy fried anything.  I ate fruits, veggies and cheese more than anything in the world.  Mmmm.  Cold food always appeals to me.  Rob on the other hand grew up eating EVERYTHING fried.  Even his vegetables had bacon grease in them.  It didn't matter what it was.  I had never fried anything in my life.  I cooked a lot over the years but never fried anything. 
Rob wanted me to make steak and gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans so I did.  I pan fried the steak and then made the gravy according to his directions.  The mashed potatoes I made like I normally would except Rob's mom always put mayonnaise in hers so I had to add that in, now the green beans had to have bacon grease in them and they had to be boiled to death.  I worked so hard and had the meal ready and on the table on time.
Rob came home from work and sat down to the table as I brought the food in.  First the meat was so tough we couldn't even cut it, the gravy was like jelly, thinking about it now makes me actually gag.  The mashed potatoes were actually good except we had put the "jelly" gravy on them.  The rubber green beans were horrific as well.  I sat quietly not really knowing what to do about the meal.  Rob finally got the courage to invite me to throw the dinner out and go out for pizza.  I assure you I enthusiastically agreed to the bargain!  That the heavens for Pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment