Thursday, April 16, 2015

Drive in movies


This is two of my grands with Pop Pop and I at the drive in movie.  We went to watch "Home."  Both children sat in my lap the whole time in the front seat to watch the movie, eat popcorn and drink fruity drinks. 
Going to the drive in brings back very fun memories of my childhood.  My family frequently went to the drive in.  We loaded everyone into the station wagon and took off to watch the movie.  We almost always wore our pajamas, brought pillows and blankets.  You didn't listen to the movie over the radio as you do now, you had a metal speaker that was attached by a cord to a post.  You had to hang the speaker on the inside of your window. 
We girls would pile in the back of the station wagon which my father had backed up toward the movie screen.  We all four would lay down in the back with the pillows and watch the movie.  My parents brought lawn chairs and sat outside the car in front of us to watch the movie.  Since in my day we did not have seat belts in the car, if we happen to fall asleep in the back of the station wagon my parents just left us there until we got home and then dad would carry us to our beds. 
They used to sell these green swirled strips that sat on a little tiny pedestal in an aluminum tray.  You had to light the end of the strip and it would slowly burn and keep the mosquitoes away.  It did not smell very good and smoked a lot, but you did not get bitten. 
Occasionally we would go to a drive in that would have a play ground up front below the screen.  When we were lucky to go to that one we played on the swings and such while watching the movie.  Just like our movie experience of last week we would have popcorn, fruity drinks and very often chocolate.  Drive in movies are so classic and amazing.  I love going, I am not a fan of mosquitoes but now a days a little spray takes care of that.  Happy movie going!

No comments:

Post a Comment