Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Let me sew that right up.

I grew up in a time when sewing clothes was a special skill.  Many people chose to make their own clothes for various reasons.  You could make your clothes fit your body properly for one.  I was extremely skinny and tall so making things fit me was an excellent reason.  I loved choosing my favorite colors and patterns in fabrics as well.  I have always loved bold colors and making my own clothes allowed me to put my favorite bold colors into current fashions and have them fit perfectly. 
When I first learned to sew my parents made a deal with me.  They told me that if I made all my own clothes they would buy me any amount of fabric I wished.  They had no limit as to how much I could buy  or spend as long as I was making the clothes.  We girls had a clothes budget we were given to purchase our clothes with, so this new deal was really amazing.  I could have as many clothes as I wished, what a deal for a teenage girl.  Needless to say I took them up on this offer for many years.  I was always dressed very well.
Even while I was in college the deal stood.  I took my sewing machine and basket with me to college and would call my parents to put extra money in my bank account for a fabric run.  I made everything I wore including my formal apparel. 
My older sister wished to have the same deal but couldn't sew a straight line to save her soul.  She wanted to have "tailored" clothes too so she asked me to sew for her.  I have to tell you that I did make some of her clothes but I charged her for the fabric and my work.  She never minded as I was an excellent seamstress and she loved having her clothes fit her so perfectly.
When I had my children, even the boys, I can tell you they wore a great many home sewn clothes.  I made their winter coats, jean jackets, skirts, dresses, shorts, pants, shirts, pajamas, even dolls, doll clothes and toys.  Later when our bills got tight I took up sewing for other people who liked to have tailored clothing.  I made fairly good money doing this but really didn't like sewing for others that weren't family, so as soon as the bill was paid off I quit and went back to sewing for my family. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment