Monday, March 23, 2015

First Date


Gregory Portland, Texas
 
My first official date was to a homecoming football game and the school homecoming dance that followed with Jimmy Albreight.  I was so excited to have my first date.  Since it was homecoming it meant being really dressed up.  I was very tall, skinny young girl at the time so it was hard to find clothes that fit properly.  Mom took me to this little exclusive shop that carried nothing but clothes for girls just my size.  We found this red dress with a scoop neck and sleeves to my elbows, then from my elbows to my wrists there was this white sheer fabric which was quite fashionable at the time.  After buying the dress we bought some white "baby doll" shoes and this cute little purse in white as well to compliment the red dress.
The day of the dance and game finally came so my mother took me to the local salon to have my waist length hair piled onto my head in ringlets.  My mother also took me to Merle Norman to have my makeup done.  I came home to put on my knee length dress, hose, new shoes and accessories.  When it was time for the football game my father drove our station wagon to pick up Jimmy as neither of us drove.  Dad dropped us off at the game which we enthusiastically watched.  After the game, which our school won, the majority of the students, including us, walked over to the school building directly next to the stadium to attend the dance.  
Jimmy and I danced all evening with the exception of one dance.  The one dance I danced with my sisters' boyfriend.  He was kind of funny because he told me to let him know if Jimmy got out of line and he would take care of him.  Ha, ha, ha what he didn't know was Jimmy was a perfect gentleman or I would have taken care of him myself!
The song of the night was "Behind Closed Doors."  After a wonderful time at the dance dad returned to pick us up in that wonderful old station wagon and take Jimmy home.  Since my dad was our driver there was no "walking your date to the door" so Jimmy kissed me on the cheek as he got out of the car and waved goodbye as he walked up to his own door.  With a chuckle from my dad as Jimmy exited our car my first date was over and I had had a wonderful evening.
I have included a photo taken of me the day AFTER homecoming, I wanted to share my hair style.  I loved it and was thankful that my mother saw to it that my hair was done in a special way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment