Thursday, March 12, 2015

Wash that Landau right off of your car

While dating Rob when he would go out to sea (he was in the Navy) he would leave his car in my care.  I kind of thought that was a vote of confidence.  I would take care of his car the same as he would.  He washed his car at least once a week, mostly by hand but on occasion he would take it through the car wash on base. 
Rob's car was a 1976 Nova SS.  It was REALLY nice!  It was a red, two door with plaid seats and a landau roof.  In case you don't know what a landau roof is it is where the roof is partially covered in a fabric that looks like leather.  On Robs car it was white and only covered the back 1/4 of the roof.
Rob had been out at sea for six weeks I think it was and I had been driving his car and taking care of it, washing it by hand but he was due in port that day so I decided to spend my time making myself look nice and just take his car through the car wash instead of taking the time to hand wash his car.  I have to admit I looked pretty good if I do say so myself.   Even though I took the car through the carwash I hand dried the car so off I went with just enough time to get the car done and get to the dock in time to watch the ship come in. 
I was happy as a lark as I sailed through the carwash, I was humming as I jumped out of the car and happily grabbed the towels from the trunk.  I began to quickly dry the car when I saw it!  The car wash had pulled up the Landau roof.  The fabric it standing up.  It looked horrible.  I had destroyed my boyfriends car.  I had about 15 minutes before I had to be at the docks so there is nothing I can do about it.  I didn't even know if it would rip it if I drove the car.  I had no idea what to do.  If I went home to get my car it would taken forever to get on base getting through the base checkpoints and I still would have to have driven the car to get there.  How was I going to tell my boyfriend I killed his car?  I decided the only thing I could do was to drive to the base so that's exactly what I did. Thankfully Rob wasn't too upset and it wasn't too hard to fix, a little special glue and it was as good as new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment