Friday, March 13, 2015

A shotgun baby

My mother told me that my father asked to name me.  He originally wanted to name me Marlene, the same as my mother but my mother convinced him that it would be too confusing to have two Marlene's in the house.  My father settled for the name Marlena Coulier; Marlena being close to my mothers name; my mother was named after the famous actress Marlena Detrich originally so it was staying true to the naming.  My middle name, Coulier, was my fathers mothers middle name.  I love my name and always have, I think it is beautiful and unique.  I kept my full name when I married because I have a part of my mother's name, my grandmother's name, my father's name and my husband's name I love honoring all those people I love. 
My mother had saved all year in order to give my father a Christmas gift he would love in 1956, a new shotgun.   Unfortunately for him my birth cost more than they anticipated and after only having the shotgun for a very short time and having never had the chance to try it out he had to sell it to pay for the cost of my birth.  I am fairly sure he found me worth the sacrifice.  My father loved children and always loved his girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment